Yoga is a great way to stay fit, and it can help you get your body and mind in shape. If you’re looking for an exercise routine that can be low impact, or you want to build muscle tone, yoga is perfect for you.
But you don’t want to be the one half naked on the (tacky) hotel bedroom floor, putting your yoga mat on your body to see if it sticks. Nor do you want to be the naked guy on the floor at the class, showing off your body, while everyone’s trying to concentrate on their yoga poses.
And just the same, you do want to have something that’s comfortable and easy to clean. There are plenty of great options out there these days. You can certainly make your own, but you need properly fitting dimensions. (You’ve probably tried to wrap a blanket around your body in class to no avail.)
Here are the best yoga mats to check out if you’re looking for something high quality to use in your yoga sessions.
|Non-Slip Yoga Mat||Best Overall|
|Gaiam Essentials Thick Yoga Mat Fitness & Exercise Mat||Budget Pick|
|Manduka PRO Yoga Mat||Upgrade Pick|
1. Non-Slip Yoga Mat
- Non-toxic, non-skid material protects you from getting hurt while doing basic poses.
- It has a perfect grip that will help you achieve the proper form of the pose.
- Can be easily washed in the washing machine.
- Made with Eco-Friendly Natural Tree Rubber.
- Made of Extra Space and Cushion.
- Includes a Storage Bag.
- Perfect for both the beginners and advanced level yogis.
Non-Slip Outdoor Mat for Yoga, Pilates, Sports, and P90X – Extra Thick – Non-skid & Waterproof – 30 Day Risk Free Trial – Durable – Improved Stability with A Grip-Studded Bottom.
2. Gaiam Essentials Premium Yoga Mat
- Thick and durable
- Wipe-clean vinyl surface
- Water resistant
- 6 perforated, laminated layers
- Resistant to slips
- Stylish and elegant design
- Carrying strap included
3. Yoga Cloud
- The best yoga mat for beginners
- Extra-thick surface for better traction and balance
- Hand and shoulder sling for easy carry
- Non-slip, moisture-resistant foam
- Incredibly supportive and provides assistance to those with injuries or losing balance
- Moisture-resistant foam offers great resilience
- The price is reasonable
- The mats are a little thick for beginners
- There is a funny smell when you open it
There are many yoga mats, but I would definitely choose this one as your first yoga mat. It is very soft, thick and a pure non-slip material. The fact that it has a shoulder strap is a huge bonus, for you do not need to carry around your mat with you.
And the best part is that you will not fall because of its safety feature. The mat has many advantages because it has a very good grip, it’s easy to wash, and it is thick. All of these factors make it very durable.
The mat can deal with sweat from the user and can handle your body weight.
4. Yoloha Aura Cork Yoga Mat
- Anti-microbial and anti-odor
- Makes it feel smooth
- Easy to clean
- Its long length makes it ideal for people who are a little taller.
- Not really for hot yoga
- Cork can be a little difficult on the hands for some people.
This yoga mat by Yoloha is made of 100% natural cork and latex. This makes the mat naturally very durable and able to withstand any kind of damage without wear and tear.
The mat has a non-slip grip that you can count on that is not considered sticky. Some people don’t like sticky mat as it tends to shift the body during yoga routines and practices.
The mat also has antimicrobial properties and keeps the bad odors and germs away, which makes it easier for you to maintain the number one safety rule of not touching the mat with your hands.
5. NewMe Fitness Instructional Yoga Mat Printed
- Good quality
- Pretty pictures make it easier to visualize poses
A few yoga enthusiasts in China decided to spread their love of yoga by producing instructional yoga mats with pictures of every known yoga pose. The pictures help to provide better understanding of each yoga pose, and make it easier to visualize.
It is 24” wide and 68” long, so it is big enough for most people. It has a weight of 3.2 lbs, which also makes it lighter than some of the other yoga mats. It is printed with detailed instructions for 70 poses in English and Chinese. The pictures themselves are 24 times larger than the normal photo size, making it easier to see the poses.
The purpose of the Newme yoga mat is for those who practice Yoga to help further improve their practice. The pictures help to provide understanding of the way Yoga should be practiced in a way that words sometimes cannot. You can also use this mat to help you understand the mind, body, and soul of Yoga to better practice it.
6. Gaiam Yoga Mat
- Extra high-quality material
- Easy to clean
- Made of eco-friendly materials
- Comes in a variety of sizes
- Free carrying bag
Overall, this is the best yoga mat for beginners. There’s no need to worry about compromising good quality with an eco-friendly yoga mat.
The Gaiam Yoga Mat is made of 100% virgin PVC, which is usually considered the best material for yoga mats, and the 6MM thickness is ideal for people have joint problems or who are interested in a softer surface.
7. ProsourceFit Extra Thick Yoga and Pilates Mat ½”
- Comes in 4 different lengths
- Lengthwise stripes guide your feet in poses
- Thicker and sturdier than the rest
- Has grips to keep the mat in place on slick floors
- Good for those with sensitive skin
- No funky smell
- Color may rub off on clothes
- The textured surface may not be intuitive for those new to yoga
ProSource’s extra thick yoga mat is one of the thickest in the game, which is great if you tend to be a little rough on your mats or your joints just ache after doing a certain pose.
You can choose between either a 13-millimeter or 25-millimeter thickness. The mat is 72-inches long, and you can order it in four different colors and two lengths.
Anyone who’s been sweating on a previous decision to whether or not buy a yoga mat will be happy with the non-slip, cushioned surface of this mat, which also helps it to stay in place as you do your poses.
8. TXK Yoga Mat Non Slip Hot Yoga Mat,Eco-Friendly Natural Rubber
- Quick to dry
- Great for hot yoga
- Preserves body heat
- Provides excellent grip
- Work in both warm and cool climates
- Handles get a little slippery with sweat
- Some complain about slippery backing
Comfortable & Breathable.
If you prefer to practice yoga at your hotel’s gym or you are moving a lot, you may need the TXK Yoga Mat to keep you grounded.
This floaty mat is ideal for homes that have hardwood floors. When I give it a good downward push, it stays flat on the ground. The bottom is also resistant to tearing, which is a common problem.
9. Gruper Yoga Mat Non Slip
- High quality mat
- Doesn’t slip during practice
- Non-slippery, sweat resistant
- Great shock absorption
- Long enough for adults
- Some complaints about the mat being too slick
- Could see puncture marks
- Some customers provided complaints about the mat being too lightweight. If there are punctures or after a while it flattens, then a customer may decide to get another product.
When it comes to lightweight but extremely durable yoga mats, this particular brand called Gruper is one to look at. It’s also eco-friendly and specially designed for people who need flexibility (those who do a lot of yoga and other exercises).
The Gruper yoga mat is a non-toxic product that your body can be utterly friendly with. It’s also made in a fashion that it can help your body generate more heat, and the heat is also retained.
10. Yoga Direct Deluxe Extra Thick Yoga Sticky Mat
This mat is 0.55” in thickness and is made from non-slip microfiber fabric that makes it very user-friendly.
It has been designed and crafted using four layers of foam. The top layer is made from Open Cell 100% nitrile butadiene which gives an extra amount of traction and cushioning. This is a great feature for those that do hot yoga. The next layer is made from a closed-cell polyfoam that offers additional cushioning. Then, there is a layer of microfiber. The bottom layer is made from a natural rubber, which adds traction and comfort.
The Yoga Direct Deluxe mat is 72” x 24”. This is long enough to accommodate tall people up to 6’6”. It is recommended that you store your Yoga Direct Deluxe extra thick Yoga Sticky Yoga Mat rolled up which is why some people reported that the mat was too long when they first unrolled it.
11. BalanceFrom GoYoga+ All-Purpose 1/2-Inch Extra Thick High Density Anti-Tear Exercise Yoga Mat and Knee Pad
- Durable material
- Good for use in the sun or shade
- Reasonable price
- Good grip
- Thickness of 1/2 inch
- Vegan approved
- Free cleaning cloth included in the package
- Lightweight yet quality heavy duty yoga mat
- Available in black and beige color
- Some people felt sleeves adjustment seems flimsy
- Wears out quickly
- Yoga mat is not thick enough
- People familiar with yoga mats may find it too thin
- People with knee pain will probably not benefit from the sleeves
We love the BalanceFrom GoYoga+ All-Purpose 1/2-Inch Extra Thick High Density Anti-Tear Exercise Yoga Mat and Knee Pad with Carrying Strap.
You can use the BalanceFrom GoYoga+ All-Purpose 1/2-Inch Extra Thick High Density Anti-Tear Exercise Yoga Mat and Knee Pad with Carrying Strap for different yoga postures and different parts of your body (such as your shoulders, neck, head, palms, etc.). It is very helpful for those yogis who have knee problems. Some people also use it as an extra thick seat cover.
12. Heathyoga Eco Friendly Non Slip Yoga Mat
- We picked this mat because it was one of the most popular, most reviews, and because it looked super reliable! There are a lot of yoga mats available on the market, but we believe that this one will definitely meet your expectations.
- The mat is made out of Eco-friendly material (and although all materials used in the mat are naturally occurring from plants or trees) TPE (Thermoplastic Elastomer) will ensure that your body won't be in contact with PVC.
- This mat is extremely portable, lightweight, waterproof, hypoallergenic and bacteria resistant.
- The mat is thick and excellent cushioning, but still lightweight and compact! It is excellent for hot yoga, but also great for everyday practice outside of the studio.
- It will improve your practice because this mat will not allow you to slide around and focuses you to engage your core for upper body stability.
- The mat is contrasted in colour so you can keep your hands aligned for any posture, and the mat is flat and very durable.
- It's nice and sticky and absorbs water, however, you can wash it without needing a lot of water.
13. Ewedoos Eco Friendly Yoga Mat
- Eco-friendly free from toxic substances
- Affordable price
- Doesn't slip and non-slip
- Very Flexible and waterproof
- Free of latex, PVC, BPA, and Phthalates
- Made from Natural and Organic Materials
- Good cushioning for joints and knees
- Good traction
- And more…
- Doesn't always fold down easily
- Some users report it sags easily
- A Little Hard to wipe down as it attracts pet hair
I purchased this mat in the spring of 2016 as my existing mat was past it's prime.
I treat my mat gently but still I've found it to age quickly. I think the Ewedoos mat will hold up nicely.
14. Gaiam Essentials Thick Yoga Mat Fitness & Exercise Mat
- Multipurpose mat for workouts
- Anti-slip material
- Lifetime warranty
- Extra-thick foam
- May be too thick for doing yoga on hardwood floors
- The strap can be hard to clasp and keep on easily
- Can be hard to roll up when it’s wet
This multipurpose yoga mat is great for both beginner yogis as well as advanced practitioners.
The mat is extra-thick compared to other yoga mats, and feels comfortable under your body, whether you’re doing downward facing dog or a headstand.
It comes with a non-slip material so that your feet don’t slip out of your pose, and the top is somewhat waterproof.
15. Sivan Health and Fitness 1/2-InchExtra Thick 71-Inch Long NBR Comfort Foam Yoga Mat
16. Gruper Thick Yoga Mat Non Slip
- Soft, yet sturdy
- Extra cushion for comfort
- The carrying strap and bag are convenient
- Can be used as a folding mat or lying flat on the floor
- May not be very durable
- Does not provide traction
What Amazon Customers Think about the Gruper Thick Yoga Mat 73” x 32 Inch:
“I ordered this because I’m upgrading from a beginner's yoga mat to a purple yoga mat. This is 72” x 32” x 4mm, which is a good thickness and slightly longer than my current mat. I’m very satisfied. It's comfortable and the strap makes carrying the mat easy. The a strap with a plastic clip comes with it that you can use to secure the rolled up mat to the strap for carrying. It arrived earlier than expected and it was well-packaged. I'd say the only bad thing is that the mat doesn't provide much traction. I guess that's expected if it's non-slip.” – Jess
Things we like about this yoga mat:
17. Manduka PRO Yoga Mat
- High level of cushioning
- Heat resistant
- Somewhat affordable
- 10-year warranty against defects
- Easy to install
- No chemicals
Manduka PRO is a high-quality yoga mat, no doubt about it. It is a little on the pricey side, but if you are going to be doing yoga intently, then this mat is definitely worth the money.
The mat is thick, adding an extra cushion to the surface. Instead of using a toxic glue, the mat uses a natural latex base. This makes it easier for you to stay comfortable on the mat. It is also possible to clean it and remove the dirt with just a damp cloth.
18. IUGA Eco Friendly Yoga Mat
This stunning green yoga mat, designed by IUGA, may be the coolest mat for your practice. This mat is not too thick or too see-through, which means that you can see the yoga mat lines as you practice, giving it an extra point for visibility.
The texture of this mat is my favorite part. This mat is unique because it is a non-slip free- car carry strap yoga mat and is made of 100% natural Latex, which gives it a pleasant and natural feel.
19. JadeYoga – Voyager Yoga Mat
The Voyager's sticky rubber grip helps you grip poses, and it'll support you during your yoga practice. This JadeYoga mat is super comfortable thanks to its extra traction and moisture-absorbing cork.
What's interesting about this JadeYoga mat is its “flash cells.” These make it easier for you to remove the “sweaty stuff” from the mat during yoga. The pad is also environmentally-friendly, and it features an eye-catching design.
This JadeYoga mat is long enough for taller people to be able to stretch without having to be too close to either end of the mat. Its light weight makes it easy to travel with. The JadeYoga Voyager yoga mat comes with a carrying strap that'll make it easy for you to carry it around to and from your yoga class.
20. Repose Eco-Friendly Yoga mat
- Cork top provides grip unlike slippery plastic
- Cork top is natural and hypoallergenic
The Repose Cork-Top Yoga Matt provides a natural surface that looks and feels great. It’s durable and versatile enough to be used both in and out of the gym.
The cork for this yoga mat is harvested from sustainable cork oak tree forests, and the TPE used to bond them together is free from PVC and phthalates. Just like the majority of the yoga mats we reviewed, the cork is free from toxic adhesives.
This Repose cork-top yoga mat is available in five lengths, which are 72”, 60”, 48”, 36”, and 24”. We recommend going with the shorter versions if you don’t plan on using them at home.
21. b kind 2 urth Spiritual Alignment Collection Hybrid Eco-Friendly Non-Toxic Microfiber Suede Yoga Mat from Recycled Repurposed Bottles Bonded
Bag + Yoga for Kids Card Game & Instructional DVD ….
0.5-inches thick and touch-responsive, it’s easy to transition from the mat to the floor. …
The Earthwise Yoga Mat is made from 100% biodegradable materials, including a TPE top with a PVC-free, 100% natural rubber bottom. It’s also recyclable and 100% latex free.
22. Lotuscrafts Cork Yoga Mat
Weight – Easy Clean, Soft, Safe – Excellent Grip – Eco Hard Wood.
23. AmazonBasics 1/2-Inch Extra Thick Exercise Yoga Mat
This popular yoga mat from Amazon comes in a variety of colors and has a 1/2-inch thickness. The yoga mat is breathable and comes with a strap to secure it when rolled.
It’s anti-microbial and odor resistant thanks to the plant-based coating. The non-slip textured surface of the mat helps you stay in place during your workout. The mat offers cushioning and is long enough to accommodate most people up to 6’6” tall.
It comes with a limited lifetime warranty. Amazon offers a 100% money back guarantee with free return shipping for this yoga mat.
24. Incline Fit Exercise Mat Ananda 1" Extra Thick Exercise Mat
- Extra-thick construction
- Can be used for other things besides yoga as well
- Sprung curls stick to it very easily
- Drawback is that it does not have a good sticky mat attachment
- Weight is 11.8 pounds
The Incline Fit Exercise Mat Ananda is a popular extra-thick exercise mat for a number of good reasons. In addition to providing superior padding for your knees, hips, elbows, and other joints, it is made in the USA, has a 100% natural vegetarian-fiber top, and features a non-slip rubber base. Plus, it's resistant to odor and mildew.
The Incline Fit Yoga Mat is also highly versatile since it can be used for all your floor and fitness exercises, including yoga, pilates, stretching, and more.
This mat has plenty of features to make your yoga or fitness workouts more enjoyable. For instance, it is 1.5" thick, which is a little less than the average yoga mat, but enough to offer a nice cushion for common yoga poses like downward dog.
- Available in different sizes
- 2-year warranty
- 24-months guarantee of replacement
- Stable with a higher density weight
- Conforms to your body shape
- Provides a cushion for your joints
- Gives you a soft landing
- Stretches to provide protection for your bones and joints
- Can be easily punctured due to its lack of thick cushioning
- Gets moist when you sweat while on it, which could be uncomfortable for some
- Can be smelly
- Can be slippery
The TPE, or thermoplastic elastomer, yoga mat is a major upgrade from the traditional rubber mat. While it may be an upgrade in terms of design, the old rubber mats have been around for so long simply because they work pretty well. Nonetheless, with that said, we should embrace the changing trends in the industry, and the thermo fitness mat offers some extremely useful features that makes it perfect for fitness enthusiasts.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Which brand yoga mat is best?
For most of your asana practice, either a thin, cushioned mat or a thick sticky mat would be a good option. You want your asana to be as comfortable as possible. However, if you are going to follow Vinyasa Yoga (or another physical yoga style that offers a lot of aerobic movement), then you might consider a thicker sweaty mat as well. This will prevent you from slipping during your practice, and it also helps to absorb excess sweat that could otherwise puddle up under your body and cause you to slip.
Are Lululemon yoga mats worth it?
For the past decade or so, Lululemon has been indisputably a top player in the yoga mat market. The brand is pretty popular among yoga practitioners, especially yogis who are constantly on the move. The mats come with an antimicrobial coating that can fend off even the nastiest looking rugs and carpets. There are countless videos and online discussions going on about how absorbent and stretchable Lululemon mats are. If you like something that absorbs a lot of sweat, then you'll probably be pleased by this.
There are some drawbacks to these mats that you ought to take into consideration if you're thinking of buying one. One common complaint is about the strong rubber odour. This is particularly troubling if you plan to meditate on the mats. Other than that, some users also claim that the mat is prone to ripping on the sides after several uses.
Are expensive yoga mats worth it?
You should spend more money on a high-quality yoga mat if it will get used often and you prefer comfort over cost. The more you practice yoga, the more you become dependent on your mat. If you practice on an old or cheap mat, it'll quickly become covered with sweat and will be uncomfortable to practice on. You'll want to avoid buying a cheap mat and replace it with something nicer over time.
Bear in mind that many yoga mats have characteristics that will be most beneficial to certain types of yoga disciplines. For example, during hot yoga classes, it's very helpful to have a mat that minimizes sweat absorption. That way you can be comfortable and avoid slipping during your session. If you practice a more gentle form of yoga, you may not care if moisture absorption is a concern. In this case, a cheaper mat that's still comfortable will work just fine.
Is it better to get a thicker yoga mat?
Yes, it is. The thicker your mat is, the better. It’s more comfortable to stand on, and you also are less likely to feel the wood floor beneath you which can add to your stress. The standard thickness for burlap mats is 15mm while the standard foam mat thickness is 6mm.
Considering that the recommendation is to have at least 3/8th of an inch of mat thickness between your feet and the floor, it’s best to get a thicker mat if possible.
Yoga Mats are used by millions of people every day. And they need to have something that will provide good traction and cushion. Mats need to be a little flexible too to give support to the body. Each yoga mat has different qualities. They also come at different prices. But there is a best yoga mat for everyone.
In this article, we look at two excellent options. We review each mat and help you decide which best suits your needs. We also add a couple of other options for consideration, to make sure you get the best yoga mat.
|Non-Slip Yoga Mat||Best Overall|
|Gaiam Essentials Thick Yoga Mat Fitness & Exercise Mat||Budget Pick|
|Manduka PRO Yoga Mat||Upgrade Pick|