Iodine is one of the greatest vitamin-like substance that is neither a vitamin nor a mineral. Yet, it is so good for your health you won’t know what hit you.
Iodine is an essential nutrient for most people, especially if you want healthy thyroid. Your thyroid is the central gland of your endocrine system. It controls your metabolism and how quickly or slowly your body converts food energy into movement or stores it as fat.
Iodine is critical for the function of the gland, and if you’re an iodine deficiency (and many Americans are), you may end up with autoimmune thyroid disease.
Studies have shown that people with iodine deficiency have a greater risk of dying from solid cancers, apoptosis, breast and prostate cancer, and a host of other serious diseases.
Fortunately, it is possible that the benefits of iodine are very large, and it’s doable to protect against iodine deficiency with proper diet. Here are the best iodine pills (list updated May 2019) to consider.
|Terry Naturally Tri-Iodine 12.5 mg||Best Overall|
|Life Extension Sea-Iodine Capsules||Budget Pick|
|OPTIMOX Iodoral IOD 12.5 High Potency Iodine Potassium Iodide Thyroid Support Supplement||Upgrade Pick|
1. Terry Naturally Tri-Iodine 12.5 mg
- Gets rid of pathogens quickly
- Costs more
- A natural way to remove toxins
- Takes a long time to work
- Not as powerful
Iodine is an essential trace mineral required by your body to produce hormones that are essential to the development of the reproductive system and thyroid gland. Iodine is also necessary for the production of thyroxine, which is essential for the normal regulation of metabolic rate, resulting in weight loss.
Iodine supports the health of the prostate and breasts. The supplement is a natural ingredient and is used to prevent and to treat
2. Standard Process
- Great for breast milk supply
- Works fast at boosting levels
- Can be safely taken with breastfeeding
- Manufacturer backed
3. IOSAT – Pack of 3 by Iosat
- Helps with hydration
- Great for expectant mothers
- Potent prenatal vitamin supplement
- Bottle not sealed
- Can contain silicone
This prenatal supplement is a multi-vitamin and mineral that is suitable for use by anyone, whether you are pregnant or not.
The supplement can be taken by mothers both before and after delivery.
It helps ease morning sickness while also providing you with comprehensive support for a healthy pregnancy.
4. Relentless Improvement Iodine Sublime 12.5mg 200 Caplets Compare to Iodoral
- Includes Vitamin C, Calcium and Magnesium
- Very reasonably priced
- Has a time release formula
- * Bottom line
Relentless Improvement is the clear leader in quality Iodine and I recommend them over any other Brand. Personally, I’ve been taking Iodoral for the last 16 years and have been very pleased with it.
The brand “Relentless Improvement” is now making it a lot more affordable to crush up your own Iodine pill compared to Iodoral. I think there is no comparison because I’ve been taking Iodoral, but the Relentless Improvement Iodine pills are almost the same but better.
Iodine begins to work immediately by increasing thyroid production and boosting energy. One should notice an increased metabolic rate and BMR within a couple of days of beginning the supplement.
5. Swanson Triple Iodine Complex 12.5 Milligrams 60 Veg Capsules
- Natural dose of iodine
- Works well as a thyroid supplement
- Contains no other additives
This product has been really great to take with my low-fat diet, often with low amounts of iodine. It keeps my thyroid gland healthy and I never have any thyroid problems, even when cutting calories or carbs.
I'm adding these to my daily already healthy diet. I feel better when taking them. I also take a Low Thyroid Formula by the same brand, and they work great together.
6. Thyroid Protector Potassium Iodide 60 Capsules 65mg
- Affordable and high-quality
- Great for people with thyroid problems
The Thyroid Protector is 60 capsules that have been blended from iodide, iodine, and a small amount of iodate. To improve absorption, these capsules are blended with Vitamin B6.
The thyroid gland is a very important part of the human body. It regulates metabolism, among a host of other functions. When the thyroid needs to boost its performance, it can draw iodine from the blood, and this is why the Thyroid Protector is such a valuable addition to anyone’s health regimen.
Because this blend is made from natural ingredients, you don’t have to worry about it being pumped full of artificial and potentially harmful ingredients. You may experience results as quickly as the first week, but experts recommend that you continue taking the Thyroid Protector for at least a few months.
7. Relentless Improvement Potassium Iodide 180 Tablets
- The Highest Potassium Iodide Content on the Market
- No Wheat, Gluten or Soy
- Plant-Based Capsules
- Money Back Guarantee
- Fast Shipping
- Manufactured in the USA
- Quality, Top-Rated Products
- You Have To Take 6 Pills Per Day
- You Have To Take It Daily – Not As A Last Resort
Potassium Iodide is basically a synthetic version of the iodine found in nature (fish, fruits, and vegetables). Since the human body easily absorbs synthetic iodine, ingesting it in supplement form is an ideal way to prepare for a looming radiation emergency. It will more than likely be sold out at pharmacies and big box stores, so order soon!
Potassium Iodide supplements come in a 180-count bottle and a 270-count bottle, but the bottle itself has 210 pills. The box says that it’s because of manufacturing variations and that you’ll get a full 180 days of supplementation.
8. Natural Nutra Kelp Iodine Supplement
- High strength
- Pure kelp without fillers
- Supports thyroid function
- No fillers
- No extra ingredients
- Good price considering the high amount of iodine
Like I said, iodine is very important. Many of the foods we eat don’t contain even the normal amount of iodine. To make matters worse, medical research is currently uncovering the potential harmful effects of bromine. Bromine is mainly found in processed table salt. This means that iodine intake is necessary to make up for the bromine excretion of many modern-day diets.
The Kelp Iodine supplement is made from Atlantic ground seaweed and is rich in iodine. Since it doesn’t contain any unnecessary ingredients, it’s a great supplement for those with stomach sensitivities. Each capsule contains 100 mcg of iodine, which is equivalent to 1.5 grains of kelp if you’ve ever worked with kelp. 2 capsules per day will contain the recommended daily amount of iodine.
Though the product page doesn’t mention it, the product also contains a small amount of potassium iodide. Potassium iodide is important for thyroid function in addition to iodine.
9. Pure Encapsulations
- * Iodine-Iodide Potassium
Iodine is the most powerful growth promoting hormone in a human body. It is the hormone responsible for promoting growth of new body tissues, including breast. Iodine therapy can help to relieve pain and improve the quality of life for breast cancer patients. Taking iodine supplements daily can also help to prevent breast and ovarian cancers.
The typical daily adult requirement of iodine is (150-220”g). The thyroid gland needs at least 1mg of iodine in order to function at its optimum level. The iodine concentration in breastmilk is about 525”g per liter, which is the most concentrated iodine source in the human body. In fact, each liter of breast milk contains as much as the recommended daily requirement for adults (150”-220”g).
10. OPTIMOX Iodoral IOD 12.5 High Potency Iodine Potassium Iodide Thyroid Support Supplement
- Helps your body's production of thyroid hormone
- Promotes feelings of wellbeing
- Acts as an antioxidant helping to fight disease
- Supports the proper functioning of your thyroid gland
- Maintains a proper metabolic rate
- Promotes a healthy libido
- Increases mental function
- Supports the proper functioning of the immune system
- Helps prevent cancer
- Prevents fatty tissue and heart disease
- Has an unpleasant taste
- Can cause some mild nausea at first and a metallic taste in your mouth
- May cause your skin and hair to become more sensitive to sunlight than normal
Most brands of name brand Iodine supplements have 25% USP content or less, but this Iodine supplement from Optimox has 58% USP content at 1/3 the price. You get more Iodine capsules at a lower price.
Many good reports on quality and effectiveness at this lower price.
11. Iodine – HP 12.5 mg
- Uses three forms of iodine
- Easily absorbed by the body
- Has a positive effect on the metabolism
Iodine pills work by getting the iodine directly into the bloodstream. While the thyroid gets quite a bit of iodine from the food you eat, if you have Hashimoto’s disease or you’re simply not getting enough iodine, it can often mean a deficiency of iodine.
However, there’s a problem with taking iodine pills as some of it will go to waste. This is because your body’s natural digestive system will not extract all of the iodine. That’s why taking iodine pills can be a good way to supplement your diet, but you’ll still need to eat iodine-rich foods, like saltwater fish, sea vegetables, sea salt, and milk.
12. Life Extension Sea-Iodine Capsules
- Quality, trusted brand
- Completely vegan friendly – made from algae
- Each capsule provides 1000mcg iodine which is recommended daily allowance, over 8000% greater than the standard iodine levels
- Contains Phytonadione (vitamin K1) which is crucial to the absorption of iodine and the ability to utilize the iodine
- Can be used to supplement low thyroid function or in hyperthyroidism, Hashimotos, etc
- Contains potassium iodide
- Made in the USA
Iodine is crucial to proper health and in order to ensure you're getting enough, you have to take it as a supplement. Iodine is a major component of thyroid hormones. Low iodine levels can also lead to symptoms of mild depression and even fibrocystic breast tissue!
13. Klaire Labs Iodine Complex 12.5 Milligrams
- Can block radiation
- Can help with radiation exfoliants
- Button to hold in place
- Not for sensitive skin
- Takes a while to be effective
- Some people complain of dizziness
Iodine Complex is a powerful combination of iodine and iodide that provides the full spectrum of iodine in its natural form. It is a high-potency, easy-to-swallow supplement.
Iodine is one of the nutrients that is often missing from our diets because it is not found in many of the foods we consume. Iodine is essential for the production of healthy breast milk, and is needed for proper thyroid function. Iodine recommendations range between 150mcg to 300mcg (1,000mcg = 1mg).
Heavy stress or lifestyle can deplete your stores of iodine, and make it difficult for your body to absorb and use the iodine. Women who are nursing will especially need more iodine.
14. Sea Kelp 325mcg 200 Veggie Capsules
- Cholesterol and blood pressure-friendly
- Easy to swallow capsules
- Only made with seaweed and potassium
- Vegan friendly
- No artificial ingredients
- Supports weight loss
What is Kelp?
Kelp, or sea vegetables, are the most nutritious foods on the planet. They’ve been used as a source of iodine and natural supplements for centuries by Mongolian nomads, Finnish and Japanese populations.
Kelp is packed with vitamins, minerals and essential amino acids, which support every function of your body. The naturally occurring iodine included in kelp helps to boost your thyroid and metabolism, regulate your body’s temperature, and increase your energy.
15. Thyroid Support Supplement with Iodine
- Amazing customer service
- Build-in multi-function
Next, I want to talk about thyroid support supplements. If you’re reading this as a woman, there’s a chance that you’re experiencing some of the symptoms of low thyroid, as a recent report has indicated that 26% of women have suboptimal thyroid function. And doctors aren’t treating them. But left unchecked, it can lead to a whole host of problems including depression, weight gain, infertility, heart disease and even Alzheimer’s. So it’s absolutely essential that you pay attention to this.
The thyroid basically releases 2 key hormones, T3 and T4, that work to balance out the rest of the endocrine system. These are made of iodine and a mineral called tyrosine. Iodine is the main ingredient of the thyroid support supplement, and what this ingredient does, is help the thyroid gland work.
If these hormones go out of balance, the thyroid stops working and your brain is no longer properly protected from toxins. So again here’s the deal with the thyroid: thyroid support supplements now contain iodine which help the thyroid gland to work properly.
16. Raw Whole Food Iodine from Organic Kelp
Iodine pills have been commonly used for many decades and it is very, very effective in helping individuals exposed to radiation and protects the thyroid gland. Being exposed to radiation may mean being exposed to radiation from the outside environment like in your job, from household cleaning supplies or eating or drinking certain contaminated foods. Iodine pills are one of the most powerful ways to combat radiation and therefore protect your thyroid gland and maintain your optimal health.
Iodine supplement is also called as iodine pill, iodine drops or kelp pills and they all mean the same thing and that is Iodine pills.
You can get your dose of iodine by taking the iodine supplement. Iodine are used to treat certain conditions like breast cancer and thyroid disorders like hypothyroidism. It is also taken as a prophylaxis against certain conditions like ovarian cancer and breast cancer. Iodine is the primary component of the T3 and T4 hormones produced by the “thyroid” gland.
17. Thyroid Support Complex Blend Vitamin B12
- 100% money-back guarantee of satisfaction
- Build muscle
- Reduce excitability
- Increase memory and mental capacity
- Increase general health
- Increase digestive health
- Support for weight loss
- Detoxify the body
- Increase energy
- The prolonged intake of the product can lead to a build-up of copper in the body.
The specific active ingredients in this extraordinary formula are listed below: Iodine (99mg per capsule), selenium (40 mcg), silica (25mcg), iodine (1.5mg), zinc (15mg), copper (2mg), magnesium (500mg), calcium (500mg), and vitamins B6 (10mg), B9 (5mg), B12 (2.5mcg), and biotin (50mcg). It is recommended to take one capsule per day, before breakfast.
The thyroid supplement is manufactured by Integrative Therapeutics under the name of Thyroid Care Complex. They focus on utilizing a comprehensive approach to the needs of their customers, in addition to extensive research, to deliver a quality product.
This product is made in the U.S.A. This is an important factor, as too many thyroid products are being manufactured in China and putting consumers at risk.
18. Iodine Supplement 250mcg
- Iodine is crucial for healthy metabolism
- Supports healthy thyroid function
- Powder form in vegi-caps
- Effective potency at a good price
Sea kelp is known by its iodine content. This product is made from Sea Kelp and is known for promoting thyroid health.
This is an excellent iodine source that comes in powder form and is in vegi-cap form. The Iodine has been extracted from kelp and is concentrated.
I was not able to find the exact amount of Iodine each capsule contains however, Iodine is listed as the primary ingredient.
19. Thyroid Support Energy Pills ǀ Iodine Supplement & Metabolism Booster
- Promotes fat loss
- Helps with weight management and dieting
- Tastes very good
- Easy to swallow
- Good value for money
Iodine helps to:
- Enflict weight loss
- Reduce inflammation
- Improve mood
- Fight lifestyle diseases
- Strengthen your body overall
The Thyroid Support Energy Pills have a lot of iodine and are a great way to support thyroid health and weight loss. They are also great to support the immune system, reduce the risk of lifestyle diseases and help skin and hair.
20. Swanson Kelp Iodine Source 225 mcg 250 Tabs
- Iodine taste is mild and pleasant
- Doesn’t make your teeth or mouth yellow
- No Iodized Salt Taste
- Can be used with water straight from the spout
- No yellow teeth or bad breath
- Only requires negligible amount
The iodine pills from Swanson had the best reviews regarding taste and strong, salty taste. The company itself had the best customer service with very quick delivery.
21. Oregon's Wild Harvest
- Bottles last a long time
- Healthier alternative to commercial salt
- Helps remove iodine deficient foods from your diet
- High quality
- Excellent source of iodine
- Good value
- Very effective
- Doesn’t taste bad
- Winner of several awards
- Made in the U.S.A
- Powder form hard to judge serving size
- Hard to dissolve
22. RLC, i-Throid 12.5 mg
- Made with real food ingredients.
- Contains a high concentration of Iodine.
- Includes Iodine and Iodide.
- Has helped users restore healthy iodine levels.
- Contains no GMO ingredients.
- Doesn’t contain any gluten, wheat, corn, starch, rice, salt, milk powder, eggs, soy, tree nuts, fish/shellfish, artificial flavors, sugar or preservatives.
- Directions for use are easy to understand.
- Fast acting formula.
- Iodine supplement is made in the USA.
- Manufactured in a GMP compliant facility.
- They are slightly larger than other brands. Therefore, users may find it difficult to sleep with some of the pills in their mouths.
- The pills don’t dissolve in water. Therefore, those who do not like solid pills may find it slightly inconvenient.
- Some users will find it difficult to take so many tablets on a daily basis.
- Side effects can manifest when used on a long term basis.
23. Nobi Nutrition Thyroid Support
- Natural ingredients
- Good customer support
- Refund policy
- Money back guarantee
- Some ingredients are at undisclosed amounts
- Some customers claim to have experienced side effects
The use of iodine or kelp pills is common in Japan, where thyroid disease is relatively rare. Are Japanese people naturally far more thyroid resistant than people in the rest of the world?
Definitely not – it’s just that Japanese people are far more likely to be taking iodine supplements, and this is why they have fewer cases of thyroid problems.
That said, it’s still a good idea to take iodine if you’re looking to lose weight. The thyroid hormone T3 is responsible for increasing fat burning, and taking iodine can reduce your T3 levels to help you burn off the fat.
24. NOW Supplements
- Free from gluten, dairy and soy
- No animal products
- Does not contain sesame seeds or corn
- Gluten-free, sugar-free, dairy free and vegan formula
- Capsules are reported to be too large
- Complaints about the potency
Iodine is an elemental trace mineral that plays a very important role in the functioning of the thyroid gland, without which no thyroid hormones can be produced.
Iodine is sometimes known as the Universal Nutrient because it is needed by every cell in our body for optimal health.
With such importance it is hailed as the first line of defense against a number of diseases such as arteriosclerosis, diabetes and stroke.
25. Douglas Laboratories
- Iodine is naturally-occuring
- Helps prevent iodine deficiency
- Provides an adequate amount of iodine
- A great alternative to kelp tablets
- Contains key minerals like kelp
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What is the best iodine supplement on the market?
Iodine deficiency is still a common problem for Americans, and that’s why taking iodine supplements is so vitally important.
Research has shown that the vast majority of people who have low iodine levels have goiter problems. A goiter is a strange-looking swelling that occurs in the neck and throat because of low levels of iodine in the thyroid gland. A goiter can range from slightly annoying to extremely uncomfortable.
Iodine deficiencies also affect the brain. According to the book, “The Thyroid Solution”, iodine is crucial to the creation of hormones, like tyrosine and thyroid hormone. Too little of it can cause adrenal fatigue, which can result in disorientation, memory loss, and attention deficits.
Is it good to take iodine pills?
You should remember that the recommended daily allowance of iodine for adults is 150 mcg. Pregnant women and women planning to get pregnant should consume around 220 mcg a day. If you live somewhere near the sea and eat seafood regularly you might not have a need for iodine supplements. In general, adults can benefit from taking iodine pills.
Some of the iodine benefits for adults include:
Is the iodine patch test reliable?
Yes, but it’s not entirely accurate. The number of micrograms of iodine that will be absorbed through the skin will vary from person to person. The more iodine-rich foods you eat, the less likely the patch test will actually tell you how much iodine is being soaked up by your body. Also, since the skin absorbs iodine better than the gut, absorbing more iodine in the skin may not be of much use if it’s still struggling to get absorbed in the gut.
There’s another factor: iodine levels can actually decline over time. Your body can be less likely to absorb iodine over time. If you were deficient 10 years ago but have upped your iodine intake substantially since then, it’s possible that you may be absorbing more in the gut than the skin.
How long does it take for iodine supplements to start working?
Iodine deficiency is an extremely common problem, causing 80% of the world’s population to be iodine deficient. This is why ISF 5 “ Iodine Supreme by Ortho Molecular Products is the best iodine supplement.
It is a fast-acting, highly bio-available complex of iodine, selenium, and vitamin B6, which are the three building blocks you need to support thyroid health. These supplements replenish your body's iodine levels quickly and efficiently. “ you can feel the difference in just one dose.
Always consult your physician before taking a supplement.
The key to good health has always been a proper and balanced diet. Iodine is merely one of the many essential elements in food that help to keep us healthy. Iodine has been included in the diets of humans since prehistoric times, and along with a balanced diet, the consumption of small amounts of iodine supplements has always helped to keep populations healthy.
Read more about iodine and the best iodine pills of 2019.
|Terry Naturally Tri-Iodine 12.5 mg||Best Overall|
|Life Extension Sea-Iodine Capsules||Budget Pick|
|OPTIMOX Iodoral IOD 12.5 High Potency Iodine Potassium Iodide Thyroid Support Supplement||Upgrade Pick|